Join Our Team
Associate Director, Computational Biology/Bioinformatics
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety. Obsidian’s lead program is currently in preclinical development for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma and other solid tumors.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development and Manufacturing will soon be moving to a brand new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We are looking for a scientist and leader with a strong background in bioinformatics / computational biology or related field to build Obsidian’s computational biology capabilities. The successful candidate will provide the high-level strategy for the computational and analytical framework and execution within the organization. Cloud-based data analysis pipelines (e.g. NGS), biomarker discovery (e.g. TCR sequencing and clonality analysis, unbiased gene expression profiling, nanostring profiling, single cell sequencing etc.), experimental design support and preclinical statistical analyses to support research programs and the Discovery team’s functional screening platforms are key responsibilities. This role will be highly-collaborative with other multi-disciplinary scientists, providing critical analytical support to help advance the Discovery team’s target identification, lead optimization, and platform development.
This is a unique opportunity in a well-funded early-stage company with blue chip investors, field-leading advisors, and a highly experienced team. You will help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
Located in the heart of Cambridge, we are proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. We offer competitive salary and benefits, and potential for employee ownership through stock options.
- Lead and champion computational efforts associated with the Discovery and research program efforts – analytical support for Discovery screening and biomarker discovery to support translational activities
- Identify and implement computational methodologies and datasets needed to advance discovery and programmatic activities
- Oversee the execution of analyses for routine screening assays that use sequencing, array and biological data by running, maintaining, and updating analytical pipelines
- Lead the strategic efforts related to data and analysis quality using quality-control measures and collaborate on establishing data management practices
- Manage the communicate analysis results and interpretations with key stakeholders using high-quality reports in a timely manner
- Support ad hoc statistical design support and analyses for research projects and programs
- Exercise standard code-management practices, while maintaining analytical documentation and study reports in Electronic Notebook entries
- Collaborate effectively across Obsidian organization to support ongoing research projects by contributing analytical insights, requirements, workflows and presenting internally to project teams, management, and scientific teams
- PhD in Computational Biology/Bioinformatics, Bioengineering, Computer Science or a related field with >3-5 years of experience in industry, OR a MS degree in one of the above areas with >7-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency with commonly used programming languages for bioinformatics analysis, such as Python, R, and shell scripting.
- Proficiency with NGS data analysis tools and pipelines (QC, alignment, secondary data analysis, enrichment analysis)
- Proficiency with Unix-based systems, source version control (e.g. Git) and cloud computing environments and tools (e.g. AWS, Azure, docker)
- Proficient in biostatical methods
- Demonstrated success in leading the computational function in a matrixed, cross-disciplinary organization
- Highly collaborative working style and ability to adapt in a fast paced, rapidly developing environment
- Ability to work with general direction to meet objectives and timelines, adapting to changes and priorities in order to fulfill our mission
- Experience in cancer genomic data analysis along with familiarity of public databases (e.g., Ensembl, Hapmap, UCSC), tools (e.g., cBioPortal), and resources (e.g., CCLE, TCGA)
- Drug development experience in a matrixed environment
- Experience with ELN platforms (e.g., Benchling)
- Experience with data management in a regulated environment
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.