Join Our Team
Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Analytical Development
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety. Obsidian’s lead program is currently in preclinical development for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma and other solid tumors.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development, Manufacturing & Quality team is based in our brand new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We’re looking for a highly motivated scientist with a strong background in viral vector analytical development to help drive the development of multiple cell therapy products in our pipeline targeting cancer. As part of our Technical Development and Manufacturing department you will be a vital part of a highly collaborative team working to achieve the Obsidian’s vision by translating innovative science into medical breakthroughs for patients, starting with our lead program cytoTIL15 engineered to make TILs more effective for more patients.
This is a unique opportunity in a well-funded pre-clinical company with blue-chip investors, field-leading advisors, best-in-class partners (BMS and Vertex), and an experienced team. You’ll help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
- Apply your expertise in developing and qualifying analytical assays to support the release and characterization of viral vector starting materials and cell therapy products for early and late phase clinical trials.
- Design, plan, and execute experiments in Analytical Development, working both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers, including partnering closely with the process development team.
- Support method development and provide technical expertise for the transfer and qualification of assays to assess identity, purity, safety and potency of viral vectors (eg retroviral vectors) and engineered primary cells (eg T cells, Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes).
- Support introduction of new analytical technologies, implementation of common reagents and controls, trending of data, and transfer of analytical methods.
- Interpret results, troubleshoot technical hurdles, and propose solutions to the team.
- Maintain excellent records of experiments, including Electronic Notebook entries.
- Author and review technical and scientific documents including but not limited to study protocols and reports, validation documents, SOPs, and test methods.
- Collaborate effectively across Obsidian organization, present internally to project teams, management, and scientific teams.
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline (immunology, biochemistry, cell biology, engineering, or related field) or MS and 7+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Subject matter expertise in product characterization methods relevant to viral vector (retroviral/ lentiviral) drug substance, with a focus on molecular and immunoassay development (PCR / qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, MSD and western blot), cell based assays, flow cytometry and cell culture skills.
- Demonstrated track record with analytical development supporting early or late stage development of viral vectors.
- Strong troubleshooting and communication skills, highly organized with strong record-keeping and an ability to multi-task.
- Highly collaborative working style and ability to adapt in a fast paced, rapidly developing environment.
- Ability to work with minimal direction to meet objectives and timelines, adapting to changes and priorities in order to fulfill our mission.
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry assays, cell line/ primary cell transduction/ transfection.
- Demonstrated track record with analytical development supporting early and/or late-stage development of biologics and/ or cell therapies.
- Experience with Design of Experiment (DOE) approaches and application to analytical development.
- Experience working with CDMOs/ CTLs for method transfer/ development/ qualification/ validation.
- Familiarity with FDA and EMA guidance documents relevant to gene and cell therapy analytical development and method validation.
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.