Join Our Team
Associate Scientist/Senior Associate Scientist, Analytical Development
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety. Obsidian’s lead program is currently in preclinical development for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma and other solid tumors.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development, Manufacturing & Quality team is based in our brand new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We’re looking for a highly motivated scientist with a strong background in viral vector analytical development to help drive the development of multiple cell therapy products in our pipeline targeting cancer. As part of our Technical Development and Manufacturing department you will be a vital part of a highly collaborative team working to achieve the Obsidian’s vision by translating innovative science into medical breakthroughs for patients, starting with our lead program cytoTIL15 engineered to make TILs more effective for more patients.
This is a unique opportunity in a well-funded pre-clinical company with blue-chip investors, field-leading advisors, best-in-class partners (BMS and Vertex), and an experienced team. You’ll help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
- Develop and qualify analytical assays to support the release and characterization of viral vector (retroviral and/ or lentiviral vector) starting materials and cell therapy products for early and late phase clinical trials.
- Help design and execute experiments in collaboration with process development team to support viral vector product characterization and process development (e.g., viral vector product analysis with multiple bioanalytical methods, cell culture and viral vector production in lab scale/pilot scale setting, downstream purification development).
- Execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail.
- Author and review technical documents and data presentation including but not limited to study protocols and reports and test methods.
- Interpret results, troubleshoot technical hurdles, and propose solutions to the team.
- Maintain excellent records of experiments, including Electronic Notebook entries.
- Collaborate effectively across the Obsidian organization, present internally to project teams, management, and scientific teams.
- Perform assigned work independently following established procedures and limited direction; receive coaching and guidance when working on unfamiliar tasks and across groups.
- MS with 3+ or BS with 5+ years of relevant industry experience (degree in a relevant field biochemistry, cell biology, engineering, immunology).
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within established timelines.
- Experience in product characterization methods relevant to viral vector (retroviral/ lentiviral) drug substance, with a focus on molecular and immunoassay development (PCR / qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, MSD and western blot), cell-based assays, flow cytometry and cell culture skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Effective organization and record-keeping skills, including an ability to manage multiple responsibilities in parallel.
- A highly collaborative working style – you build trusting relationships, invite and share ideas and feedback, productively challenge your own and others’ assumptions to generate new ideas and facilitate better outcomes.
- Self-motivation and a proven ability to work autonomously with general direction to meet objectives and timelines.
- Flexibility; a willingness and ability to adapt to changes in priorities in a fast-paced, rapidly developing environment in order to advance our mission.
- Scientific curiosity, and a track record of self-directed learning.
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry assays, cell line/ primary cell transduction/ transfection.
- Demonstrated track record with analytical development supporting early and/or late-stage development of biologics and/ or cell therapies.
- Experience with analytical assay technical transfer and/ or qualification.
Job level will be based on overall experience and capabilities.
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.