Join Our Team
Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Process Development (Cell Therapy)
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety. Obsidian’s lead program is currently in preclinical development for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma and other solid tumors.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development and Manufacturing is in a new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We’re looking for a highly motivated Research Associate/Senior Research Associate with expertise in cell culture and process development to contribute to developing and characterizing manufacturing processes for multiple cell therapy products in our pipeline targeting cancer. In this role, you’ll work collaboratively to develop phase-appropriate manufacturing processes that meet the quality target profile. As part of our Technical Development and Manufacturing department, you’ll be a vital part of a highly collaborative team working to achieve Obsidian’s vision by translating innovative science into medical breakthroughs for patients, starting with our lead program cytoTIL15 engineered to make TILs more effective for more patients.
This is a unique opportunity to be a contributor in a well-funded pre-clinical company with blue chip investors, field-leading advisors, best-in-class partners (BMS and Vertex), and an experienced team. You'll help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
- Plan and execute process development experiments with engineered T-cell and other immune cell product candidates to define process, optimize and scale-up for clinical manufacturing
- Perform in process assays to measure cell number and characterize product using flow cytometry and other techniques
- Interpret results, troubleshoot technical hurdles, and propose solutions to the team
- Maintain excellent records of experiments in electronic lab notebooks in a timely manner
- Collaborate effectively across Obsidian organization. Present internally to project teams, management, and scientific teams
- Author and review technical reports detailing experimental work and summarizing results
- Maintain a safe work environment in accordance with policies/procedures/regulations
- Maintain cell cultures and cell banks as needed to support experimental work
- Support lab functions - including shared roles in maintaining reagent supplies, restocking consumables, equipment maintenance, and lab organization
- BS or MS degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biology or relevant field, with 2-5 years of experience in biotech/pharma setting, preferably in cell therapy
- Strong experience with cell culture techniques, preferably T-cell (or other immune cells)
- Strong troubleshooting skills and good judgement
- Detailed, accurate, and timely record keeping
- Highly organized and results oriented, with an ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel
- Highly collaborative working style – building trusting relationships, inviting and sharing ideas and feedback, productively challenging own and others’ assumptions to generate new ideas and facilitate better outcomes.
- Proven ability to work with general direction to meet objectives and timelines, adapting to changes and priorities in order to fulfill our mission
- Excellent communication skills
- Scientific curiosity, and a track record of self-directed learning
- Experience with process development, preferably cell culture processes
- Experience with design of experiment (DOE) approaches and statistical analysis of data
- Experience with analytical methods for cell characterization such as flow cytometry, quantitative PCR
- Experience with T-cell (or other immune cell) selection, viral transduction, or cryopreservation
- Experience with culture of mammalian cells in small -scale and large-scale bioreactor systems and associated control strategies and automation
- Prior experience working with CDMOs, technology transfer in context of process development to support GMP manufacturing
- Basic knowledge of immunology and experience working with immune system cell
Job level will be based on overall experience and capabilities.
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.